Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Spread Betting » Spread Betting - General

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Demo trading.
 Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:47 pm 

aster2, good analogies with driving and football, let me tell you my experiences so far. I have been spread betting for about three months now. I, like you, had a go at quick day trades trying to follow the market as it goes up and down depending on who buys and sells. I often found when I put a bet on to go short, the market went long and when I betted long, the market went short. I have now realised that trading in volatile markets is to be avoided by the novice as there is far too much 'noise'.

I now trade depending on market announcements. Each day, I look at http://www.fxempire.com/economic-calendar/ to see what announcements are being made and I trade after the announcement (the index obviously depends on the country where the announcement comes from). I have also tried placing orders to go long and orders to go short. If the price goes down dramatically following an announcement, the short order is activated, likewise, if the price goes up dramatically, the long order is activated. You have to be careful though, as there is frequently a 'bounce back' which often hits the stop loss on the way back up.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:58 pm 

It doesnt sound like you do scalping like me. But pleased to see you successful.

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:10 am 
Site Admin

Moonie

I just thought I'd point out the fact that I also have the same economic calander. The only thing is it lists a day a at time so you need to click next to see the next day.

Anything else that you think would be useful to have on the website please do let me know and I'll add it to my list of things I want to add.

Harry,
The Spread betting beginner

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:26 am 

I have traded today about dozen demo trades of one pound each on CMC DAX.
This is really the best market possible. They give only.07 spread perfect for scalping which I did with all at a profit.
It is a very bad platform all black. Why do they like black so much. You cant open and close what I mentioned before. They dont have pop ups as such. But you can download your history. I would add it here but it is so badly written that not worth it. They dont email every trade. And you have to be careful you have to make a few key presses and the price can change in between. You cant see all your trades at ones on the very small screen which you cant make bigger. It take quite a lot of getting used to, but I think after a time it should be worth it. The dax is a good market to play with and .07 spread is really a bargain. will try to put something up here but wont really do justice.
I also tried IG. They also dont have pop ups. The screen takes a long time to set up. They dont send emails. It is at least white not black. Again not colourful.

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:50 am 
Site Admin

aster,

so how do you actually achieve scalping? It's my understanding that scalping is taking lost of small profits in a small space of time. Do you basically click buy and then sell as soon as your in profit? What if a trade goes against you? When do you decide to exit?

I'm asking all these questions as I've never really tried scalping but I would love to learn more about it.

Harry,

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:59 am 

Attachment:
q5.PNG
q5.PNG [ 10.97 KiB | Viewed 10676 times ]

As you can see the way they work out the balance is including the margin requirement.

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:03 am 

'taking lost of small profits'
What a howler.
What demo platform are you using. Or dont you believe in using demo.
Its quite easy on demo. You have nothing to lose. I gave an example on CMC but wouldnt advise you to practice there. Its a terrible platform.

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:37 am 
Site Admin

I was merely trying to establish what scalping is?

If you could give an example of what it is and how you achieve it that would be much appreciated.

Harry,

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:47 am 

It is what you think it is making small profits. My previous print out is an example. Please tell me what demo platform you are using. Then I can tell you what to do.
I have the answer to my problem. I have tried it out on IG but didnt work.
But tried out on capital and worked.
Very important for scalping. Make two screen open with the demo company platform
On one you buy on one you sell.
Basically if you are doing demo. Its best to really have a go at it.
Use the dax on a one point spread. When it goes down one point you buy when up you sell.
Never mind if you make a profit or your margin hits the roof or your making huge losses.
it is demo dont forget. just get the hang of it.
remember when down a point buy when up sell and make a profit. keep on doing that till you have finished your margin then open another demo account. Once you get the hang of it you will improve. But first go in at the deep end and 'drown' in it. LOL

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Interesting, I'm actually away on holiday at the end of this week and I will have no time to try it out before then because of other work commitments. I will look to have a go when I return in June.

Harry,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Spread Betting » Spread Betting - General