Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Spread Betting » Spread Betting - General

Post subject: Where to place stops?
 Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:13 am 

I've been spreadtrading/betting with real cash for about a year or so now on and off. I use a very simple 50/100 day sma crossover with other variations depending on the trade. I like to run the medium to long trends both short and long. I've had mixed success with this so far but most of the failings have been down to not following the rules I have adopted. After 6 months out of the game i've come back more mature and with the previous experience under my belt i'm finding it much easier to stick to the rules I want to use.

The one area of spreadbetting i've come across where I struggle a little is where to place my stops. I need them wide enough so that they don't get hit my daily movements, but not so far away that I can't afford the loss if things don't go my way.

I guess its about having a large enough capital to give you the freedom to widen your stops, but whats the best place for a stop? Does anyone on here use anything more strategic than a "close your eyes and pin the tail on the donkey" strategy?

WEB: http://www.thespreadtrader.wordpress.com

Post subject: Re: Where to place stops?
 Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:28 am 

This is probably one of the more difficult areas of SB. However you might be interested in a thread I started on here some while ago called "Optimising the stoploss" it is under Money managerment see:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=154
I have checked and the google docs are still there. If you have any further questions then do get back to me and I can try and answer them.

Post subject: Re: Where to place stops?
 Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:00 am 

thanks for the link. reading through it all now

WEB: http://www.thespreadtrader.wordpress.com

Board index » Spread Betting » Spread Betting - General