Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Trading Diaries » Big Als' Trading diary

Post subject: The Journey Continues Part 11
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:29 pm 

Hi

stonking day for the FTSE which ended the day at 6056 - not so good for my portfolio which lost all of yesterday's gains (£100). I think some of my better performing shares were probably subject to some profit taking, but then you expect that now and again, so no big deal...

My best contract lost 6 points today (PETRA DIAMONDS LTD), which isn't a great deal on a share prices in the 160-170 range; however I have a total of £10 a point so it's great when the SP rises, but not when it falls. Another very mixed day with about 50/50 greens and blues. NAUTICAL PETROLEUM gained a massive 16.5 points so, whilst I'm not complaining, that's just £16.50 at £1/point...

Of course, I hear you say, buy more contracts into NAUTICAL PETROLEUM as it's doing so well. It seems like a good idea but it's all about timing; when an SP rises very quickly it's very difficult/expensive to buy back in again, especially if using guaranteed stop losses as I do.

Another good performer today was PETRONEFT which gained 4 points; otherwise not much to report. No stop outs and no new contracts.

My account funds are still a respectable £2100 and hoping for a small gain tomorrow...

All the best, Big Al

Board index » Trading Diaries » Big Als' Trading diary