Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Spread Betting » Spread Betting - General

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Demo trading.
 Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:02 pm 

Attachment:
q6.PNG
q6.PNG [ 49.19 KiB | Viewed 11297 times ]

Here is an example of scalping at a profit. Made a mistake doing the ftse.
Used two screens sold (first) on one bought back on the other at a profit.
See the time line.

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:47 pm 

That sounds like a good strategy aster2. I have got demo/live accounts with CMC and Intertrader, so will give this a try tomorrow at 13:30 when there are a series of reports released from the US. I notice that CMC don't allow access to their system symultaniously using different devices, so I'll have to have CMC and Intertrader launched at the same time.

I will report on successes/failures.

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:31 pm 

Index dividend adjustments

Any daily rolling index position held on account after market close the day before an ex dividend event is adjusted for the weighted effect of any stock dividend within that index.

The index dividend adjustment is obtained from external financial data sources, eg Bloomberg or Reuters.

The Germany 30 index is not adjusted by ETX Capital for index dividends as the underlying index (DAX 30) is a total returns index where dividend events are automatically reflected in the price.

This is another very important reason for using the DAX and not the FTSE if you get stuck with a trade overnight.

I have tried out tradefair and accendo and they are both good. Can be used with two screens with one key press. Although its not too clear which trade you are closing. So have to be careful. At the moment prefer tradefair. The have one point on the dax.

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:57 pm 

My immediate reaction when I saw trades you posted was that this looks like a very risky strategy for not much gain. Looking at the timescales on the DAX trade, you seemed to scaling up on a losing position, at 12:40 when the DAX was at 6453, you were short £5 a point, and already in loss to the tune of £17.1, if the DAX had moved another 10 points in the same direction ( not unlikely), then you would have been down £67.1. Your final winnings from my calculations were £12.6. So unless you can get this right 6 times out of 7 you could be a loser. Does your strategy take into account risk reward? If you have 50% winners compared to losers then you need to be winning at least as much as you are losing just to breakeven, most people aim at a factor of 2 to 3. Obviously if you can win 66 % of the time (which is a very good percentage) you can make money if your winners are equal to you losers , because you have more winners than losers!! A strategy where your losers are 6 times your winners has got to be able to predict winners really really well.

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:28 pm 

Thanks
First of all I was not trying out my strategy but trying out the trading platform if one can have two screens open at once using one for buying and one for selling. The time frame was very short as well. You are right one can always lose. So far with my demo trading for the last couple of weeks I have not had that problem.
My trading strategy is based on making enough wins to cover the losses. I do not believe that anyone who studies analysis will ever win against the experts. They will always be there before him. And also that there is a real difference in which stock indice one goes for. Or that one can foretell the market.
You will notice I sell before I buy.
It is not because I think the market will drop.

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:32 am 

Attachment:
q11..PNG
q11..PNG [ 39.21 KiB | Viewed 11285 times ]

half an hour scalping on the dax at tradefair

Have also now scalped on city index. Made 33.40 profit from a few scalps in about half an hour. Wont bother putting it on.
One can use two screens one for buying and one for selling but altogether very slow.
Not suitable for scalping.
Any demo screen I havent tried yet please let me know.
So far one can get .07 spread on ftse and .08 spread on dax.
One has to use a screen like tradefair where one keypress is enough and the trade box can be open all the time since one has to be quick.

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:12 am 

Attachment:
q12.PNG
q12.PNG [ 32.2 KiB | Viewed 11280 times ]

This morning in a quarter of an hour £350 pounds on Tradefair. Not bad wish it was real.
Have looked at some other sites. Dealbook offers 1 point on Wall st which is very good. I think city index as well. They are a very good platform different to all the others, all on one screen (you cant open two) that you scroll down.
Their one keypress for buying is really genuine only one. They only give 1000 pounds which is hopeless to trade demo with when everyone else give 10000. I also am not sure how one closes deals there. It seems you cant choose the price, they do whatever the market price is at the time not necessarily the same as the screen. That takes two key presses. For scalping one point its no good. I closed some which I thought were a one point profit but they made it level. Maybe all live sites also work something like that. The market can move from when it comes on the screen while you press the close.
On some sites in the demo they wont open more trades if you have gone over the 10000 but wont close existing ones. On others they will also close existing ones. If youre short of margin then you have to move the stop losses.
I looked at Plus500 they have very wide margins why do people go to them how do they stay in business.
One can always make a new email and open more demo accounts. If youre losing its better for your morale that way. One can also get less than a point spread on wall st on spreadco but their 'black' screen is terrible.
Other companies seem to tell me that worldspreads had no spread and see what happened to them. Was not in it then and dont know where their profit came from. But they seem to say you cant trust those with low and tight spreads
Will be looking at prospreads who only do large deals.

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:53 pm 

I placed a £2 OCO (one cancels the other) order via Intertrader on the GBP/USD today just before the 10:30 BOE announcement. The market spiked down over 100 points but unfortunately my 'sell' order was placed a tiny bit too high and I missed the £200 opportunity. Lessons learned for the next opportunity. :-)

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:40 pm 

Attachment:
q14.PNG
q14.PNG [ 2.11 KiB | Viewed 11278 times ]

There were two more debits since I wanted to close out which didnt fit on the page so ended with 443 profit.
Dealbook after my complaints to them made my account up to 10000
They are very good on the dow. I suppose the best. One key press and the closing wasnt that bad.

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:31 pm 

Those of you who follow my posts may have worked out my strategy by now.
Look at any tick chart of any market they all work the same.
The market moves in a direction. Then stops and goes backwards and forwards a bit and then moves again and does the same. Sometimes it 'spikes' in the middle.
The idea is to make as many trades as you can and even with big stakes while the market moves back and forth. You will very likely lose out at the end when the market may go in the 'wrong' direction. But you will have gained enough profits to cover that loss. Since I depend on the backwards and forwards 'motion' one has to take a high priced marked like the Dow and a tight spread of one point city index or dealbook or even less on spreadco. I am not yet ready to deal live, since I still have to practice my strategy as though it was live trading. The hardest thing is to take losses when it moves 'out', but in demo one doesnt have to do that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Spread Betting » Spread Betting - General