Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Trading Diaries » Big Als' Trading diary

Post subject: TEMPORARY ABSCENCE
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:33 am 

Hi

sorry I've been absent for a few days but my PC has gone down with the mother of all viruses. My friendly pc repair man has been unable to remove said virus; it's my own fault really because I've been using the free version of AVG and now I've paid the price. Anyway I've decided to order a new machine from Novatech but this won't be here for 3 or 4 days. In the meantime I'm 'borrowing' my daughter's laptop and she is not really too pleased since she spends most of her life on the internet....

Spreadbetting is still going very well and I'm currently £1400 in profit (despite a few rocky days during the week). That's it for now - be back with you as soon as I'm up and running again, or I'm allowed to use the laptop for 5 minutes...!!!

Cheers, Big Al

Post subject: Re: TEMPORARY ABSCENCE
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:58 pm 

Al,
I recommend 'investing' in a copy of Norton 2011. Usually around £24.99 in WHSmiths or PC World and the best antivirus out there.
Be careful your new machine isnt exposed to the same virus (or network) that your current sick machine has!
Maybe you could let us know how you manage your 'stops' on your account. Are you doing it manually or do you use a trailing stop? I've been caught out about 4 times this week with shares prematurely hitting their trailing stops. But some nights I just dont have the time to keep an eye on them.
See you next week!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:09 pm 

Hi

GCE 'O' level grade 1 and I still can't spell....'abscence' is, of course, 'absence'; not really important but I'm a bit of an 'anorak' about spelling and grammar....sad I know.

Anyway regarding stops - well, to be honest, I always like to adjust my stops manually, even though it's sometimes difficult to find the time. If I miss raising a stop it's not the end of the world. In very broad terms I tend to keep my stops around 7-10% below the SP. There's lots of variables to consider with stops but I don't usually keep them tighter than this figure. So far it's working reasonably well...

Thanks for advice regarding anti-virus software; guess I'll just have to spend some money..

Cheers, Big Al

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:08 pm 

Al,
thanks for your reply - yesterday I went through all my positions and took off the auto trailing stops so it was reassuring to see you do the same when I got your reply!
I feel 1 week time frame is fine to manually tune my stops, I'll probably do them each weekend.
Good luck for next week, hope the market gives us some nice gains :D

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Off the lip is still having issues with the forum which I am working to reslove. He asked me to post this reply below.

I think having a reliable computer system is vital if you are using it for Spread betting, the money spent on Anti virus is trivial compared to what you could lose if a trojan managed to hack into any of your financial accounts. The problem is that people who search for financial pages on the web are probably more of a target for hackers than other internet users on the assumption that it is only people with money who are interested in finance. I managed to get a trojan on my machine and it was an unusual request from the firewall for an application on my machine that wanted access to the internet (which I refused) that alerted me to the situation. The Antivirus firm that I use (Bullguard) were not aware of that particular virus, obviously there is a time lag for all antivirus software to catch up.
I got rid of it with help from them,but it did highlight to me that anti virus and a good firewall is essential. And do not automatically say "yes" if something is trying to access the internet from your own machine, it could be a Trojan.
PS for my own backup machine I have a spare machine (a netbook) and a 3G dongle in case the broadband goes down, both were a great investment. I use them all the time when away from the house. - offthelip

Harry,
The Spread betting beginner

Board index » Trading Diaries » Big Als' Trading diary