Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Trading Diaries » Big Als' Trading diary

Post subject: WEEKEND UPDATE...?
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:09 am 

Hi

just been checking my IG INDEX account and found a pleasant, but somewhat surprising change in my account funds. When I checked Friday evening my funds were £2555, but are now indicating £2630, an increase of £75..?? I can't see any obvious reason that this should increase after trading hours. I'm not complaining for obvious reasons, but had it been the other way I would be feeling understandaby miffed at this point....

I think one or two of my positions have increased in value, as far as I can tell, but not to the tune of £75 (curiouser and curiouser?).

This is one of the problems with having so many open positions: it's very difficult to keep track on a share by share basis. I think I have 68 open positions so it's a full-time job just keeping up with raising the stops - a problem I never thought I'd have just 6 months ago!

Question: can share prices continue to rise even after the market has closed?

See you Monday, Big Al

Post subject: Re: WEEKEND UPDATE...?
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:19 am 

Hi

just adding to my own post. I think I've found the culprit: CAZA OIL AND GAS INC (of which I have 2 positions) finished at an SP of 0.54p on Friday evening. For some reason IG INDEX now has the price at 0.60p and I have a combined bet of £10/point on this share. The difference is 6 points x £10 = £60 which accounts for most of the rise in my account. I wonder if this will be rectified on Monday and my account will fall by £60-70?

See what happens on Monday..... Big Al

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:08 pm 

Al,
nice to see your account still holding steady. I had the same anomaly once in my Worldspreads account. It had a completely wrong closing price for Yell.com some 15 points above actual market price which showed an extra £45 profit over the weekend. Rest assured they will correct it on Monday morning as they did for me!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:25 pm 

...thought so....!!!

Big Al

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:23 pm 

I have noticed that IG often seem to roll prices over at prices well above the offical close , you might think that this is completely harmless, however it isn't, your cost of roll over is dependent on the capital value that is rolled over. If IG roll over at a higher price they extract more interest from you, I calculate that the inflated £60 is going to cost you ( and earn them) extra interest of £60 * 3 days * 3% /385 interest = 1.5p
Do that for every customer sounds like good business to me!!
I think this might be to do with the prices shown during the opening and closing auctionsm but I am not sure. I have often noticed the positions that I hold are showing a red figure (loss) at the next day opening, but when I check I find they haven't moved, it is just the roll over was at an inflated price.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:33 am 

Off the lip, maybe you can check something for me on IGs platform. I've asked Big Al this before and he confirmed he can see profits on individual positions but I cant!
On other SBing platforms its usually very easy to see how a position is performing, eg. next to the open position (as you know) it tells you the overall profit/loss on that position yet because IG close and reopen trades daily I cannot see how a position has done for me over a longer period than 1 day. Its a pain for me as I have never been able to tell which share has done best overall for me. At the end of each day all I can see are the rolling charges next to the open positions, so I never see anything apart from "-£0.10" next to positions. Does your IG account do the same thing? I tried ringing them up but I dont think the guy I spoke to had a clue what I was on about... hopefully you do!
:|

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:32 pm 

I have not found a way to set up IG to show me the profit from the start of the bet, but to be honest I haven't tried for a while, so I can quite believe that it is possible. I don't have any positions open on IG at the moment so I can't see how it is done. What I did do though was I wrote an EXCEL macro that takes the Downloaded history file and works out what the start and end or open positions are from that. It seems to work OK. I can give you copy if you want. I did post it on the response on Malcolm's forum.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:06 am 

I have just tried but cannot find a way to display any profit from the start.

On the open positions window there is a link called dispplay in the top bar. This allows you to set columns on or off, but sadly no option for profit from start of bet.

To be honest I have been keeping a spreadsheet like OTL but manually. Cannot find time to try automating it.

cheers
Andrew.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:47 pm 

Its would be such a simple thing for them to implement I just dont see the advantage of not letting clients see this information. Unless they dont want you seeing your largest losing trades at a glance of course...
I havent got time on a night to manually compile the info, I spend enough time already looking for new potential trades. I think ultimately I will end up going elsewhere.

Board index » Trading Diaries » Big Als' Trading diary