Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Spread Betting » Spread betting strategies

Post subject: Super trend strategy feedback
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi all,

you may have noticed I've added my super trend strategy to the site. If you have any feed back for me please post a reply.

Thanks in advance.

Harry,
The Spread betting beginner

Post subject: Re: Super trend strategy feedback
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:22 pm 

Thanks for posting the info about the supertrend indicator. It would appear to be very similar to KAGI, except it uses the ATR as the switch instead of a fixed percentage. I was reading about KAGi and it appears you can use that with an ATR switch as well. Have you done an backtesting as to whether the super trend indicator gives an edge?
"off the lip"

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:08 am 
Site Admin

I'ver had a quick look at Kagi in the past and I couldn't realy figure out how it works so I gave up on looking at it. I may take a look again now I know that it's a fixed percentage and similar to the super trend indicator.

I haven't done any back testing. I have tried to back test in the past and never really got very far with it. The one problem I would have with trying to back test my super trend cross over strategy is how to define the bounce off support or double bottom etc, in the back test. It's easier to spot these things visually but when it comes to trying to code them into a system it's a bit of a nightmare.

If you have any ideas on how to code them then please let me know.

Harry,

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:31 pm 

Hi Harry, when I try copying and pasting the code from your Indicator into ProRealTime it says there is an "Unauthorized character:line11, column 38".
Thats in your line 10 of the code on your super trend indicator page here:
"L1 = MAX(L1[1],medianprice – a*b)"
You may want to double check it? I'd like to check it out thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

You don't actually need to code the indicator yourself. It already existis in proRealTime. I added the code to try and explain it's construction, of course you can create your own indicator from the code I've supplied as it will give you the same results. Personally I just use the one already included with proRealTime.

I'm away at the moment but I will take a look when I return on Monday.
Thanks for letting me know.

Harry,

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

ok so I managed to get a bit of time to take a look at the problem.

It's not a problem with the code but a problem with how the webpage has displayed the code. The - in "L1 = MAX(L1[1],medianprice – a*b)" for some reason was not actually a -. it was some other character that was messing up proRealTime. I've modified the HTML on the web page to force it to now be a - sign. If you copy and paste it all now it should work fine.

How I said proRealTime alread have this indicator programmed in. The thing is it tells you nothing about its construction. So that's what I've tried to do here. After much searching I managed to find out how it is constructed and wanted to share it with others because there is so little information out there about it. I hope it helps.

Harry,

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:00 pm 

I see what you mean, thanks for clarifying that. I was also interested in how you had interpreted the code and it was very informative thanks.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:21 pm 

Hi Harry,
I left a comment on your blog but I feel it may be best asked here:
Are you manually looking thru the LSE stocks to find super trend price crosses or have you got an automated system in place that highlights the shares that have just crossed for you?
I ask because if it is automated I would be interested in finding out how you did it.
Cheers!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:01 am 
Site Admin

Hi Spread betting Trader,

To be honest I do as little as I can manually. When I first started spread betting I used to spend ages looking through charts and soon realised there must be an easier way. I started to write my own VB application that at the click of a button downloaded all the EOD price data from yahoo, run an ADX calculation and gave me all the ones which had an ADX level of > 25 (a alight modification to Malcolm Pryors 30 Value that he uses). It wasn't perfect but certainly cut my time down to only looking at charts that might be trending.

This worked ok for a while, then I came across Pro Real Time. As Pro Real Time basically does everything I was trying to do in VB I abandoned my app and started using Pro Real Time instead. So to get to your point I basically have a pro Screener set up in pro real time that returns me all the stocks in the UK300 that have crossed the super trend indicator that day. There are usually a few but I don't trade them because either the stop distance would break my max risk rule, or the chart doesn't have a complementing price pattern, like bounce off support, double bottom, etc.

I'll try and get the pro screener added to the site over the weekend if I get chance. If not I'll try and get it added next week. I may start a new section for the pro screeners, that way I can bring the one across from the old site. I'll let you know when I've added it.

Harry,

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:41 am 

Harry thanks for your feedback.
I've only just come across Prorealtime and I have to say its an amazing piece of software with some great potential. I think a section on prorealtime screeners would be useful as once you get used to how it works you can basically screen for stocks based on any strategy you want, as you know.
All I have to do now is learn how to program it ;)

Board index » Spread Betting » Spread betting strategies